March 24, 2010

Piggy Bank Dating Idea: Exercise

Let me set the scene for a fun and inexpensive date:
It's near sunset.  The water is shimmering with sunset-colored rays.  The ducks and geese are making their cheerful sounds.  The temperature is perfect: not too warm, not too chilly.  The wind blows through the tall grass near the water's edge and makes a beautiful rustling noise.  And I'm wearing my Nikes.

I had a "cheap" date yesterday evening that was approximately $9 (price covers dinner) and included the beautiful scene above and some sweaty exercise.  "EXERCISE?!" (You yell question.)  Yes, exercising together can be another great way to "grow" (ahem, I mean "shrink") together as a couple and as individuals.  Exercising builds the obvious: strength, endurance, and muscles, but it also builds a lasting appreciation for each partner's strength and determination.

We chose to exercise at a park that surrounded a pond and wildlife.  The weather was absolutely perfect. We went jogging.  I am not a runner.  I repeat.  I am not a runner.  But my friends shared a running program with me that is supposed to turn non-runners into 5K competitors.  The program is called Couch to 5K and it lasts nine weeks.  Starting off slow, you exercise three times a week and eventually end the program running 30 straight minutes. (This may not be a big deal to some, but to run 30 minutes without getting a cramp is really exciting to me!) There is a $2.99 app for your iPhone/iPod that makes this program super duper easy!  While listening to your music, it uses an alert to tell you when to run and walk.  I had absolutely no problems running yesterday...although it was only Week 1 Day 1.  There is also a great support system on the Facebook Fan Page.

This activity is just getting us ready for another cheap date: spending the day at the beach!


Do you have an exercising with the boyfriend/girlfriend success story? Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! <3 Rebecca!